As I usually do with my year-to-year posts, at the end of each week I take a look at the biggest of the big gainers and losers among adults 18-49. You can click the "y2y summaries" label to see the various forms those have taken in past sweeps. This time, back to looking at the top 5 gainers and losers.
Top 5 year-to-year show losers
1. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (F 8-10pm vs. Su 8-9pm) -48%
2. 60 Minutes (Su 8-9pm vs. Su 7-8pm) -42%
3. 20/20 -39%
4. Nikita (F 8-9pm vs. Th 9-10pm) -40%
t-5. America's Next Top Model (W 9-10pm vs. W 8-9pm) -33%
t-5. Gossip Girl (M 8-9pm vs. M 9-10pm) -33%
t-5. Private Practice -33%
It was a particularly bad week for the newsmagazines, as I'm guessing (but could be wrong) they both had year-ago coverage of the midterm elections, and apparently this year's editions couldn't come up with anything that interesting. (60 Minutes also had a national NFL overrun.) Friday exiles Nikita and Home Edition should be mainstays on this list. Then there are a couple struggling CW shows and Private Practice, which had the misfortune of facing a year-ago crossover episode that did easily a season high.
Top 5 year-to-year show gainers
1. Bones (Th 9-10pm vs. Th 8-9pm) +32%
2. How I Met Your Mother +26%
3. Rules of Engagement (Th 8:30-9pm vs. M 8:30-9pm) +23%
4. Two and a Half Men +21%
5. Mike and Molly +20%
It looks like the only thing holding back CBS Monday from total domination of this list last week was the Halloween viewing level depression. They could very well be fixtures in the next couple weeks. For now, their three returning comedies are all here, as is a former Monday comedy shipped over to Thursday. Topping the list, though, is Bones, benefiting from a better timeslot with a nice lead-in and perhaps something of a premiere bounce as well.
Top 5 year-to-year timeslot losers
1. Nikita vs. Smallville (CW, Friday 8-9pm) -45%
2. 20/20 (ABC, Friday 10-11pm) -39%
3. The Good Wife vs. The Amazing Race (CBS, Sunday 9-10pm) -38%
4. Hart of Dixie vs. Gossip Girl (CW, Monday 9-10pm) -37%
t-5. CSI: Miami vs. Undercover Boss (CBS, Sunday 10-11pm) -33%
t-5. Harry's Law vs. Law and Order: SVU (NBC, Wednesday 9-10pm) -33%
t-5. Private Practice (ABC, Thursday 10-11pm) -33%
Most of these were either on the show list or on last week's timeslot list, so not much to say. I will point out that CBS Sunday suffered from a one-hour plus overrun, pushing their strong year-ago shows an hour later and creating some bad comparisons.
Top 5 year-to-year timeslot gainers
1. Bones vs. Fringe (Fox, Thursday 9-10pm) +83%
2. Fringe vs. The Good Guys (Fox, Friday 9-10pm) +63%
3. Raising Hope vs. Running Wilde (Fox, Tuesday 9:30-10pm) +62%
4. House vs. Lie to Me (Fox, Monday 9-10pm) +56%
5. 2 Broke Girls vs. Rules of Engagement (CBS, Monday 8:30-9pm) +53%
Gotta hand it to Fox. Even though I'd argue none of those shows are really any stronger than they were at this time last year (House in particular is actually much weaker), they've all done a pretty smashing job of improving trouble spots, while Fox has thrived with most of the stuff they've put in their old homes. (The exception is Terra Nova... but New Girl and both The X Factors are up 40%+ in their own timeslots.) Meanwhile, 2 Broke Girls has certainly ridden the CBS Monday wave but is a pretty legit success in its own right too.
Here are this premiere week's daily posts, in case you missed any:
Thursday | Friday | Sunday | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday
And here are the previous recaps of this same week:
2009 | 2010