- FINALS UPDATE: New Girl (1.5) adjusted up and Hollywood Game Night (1.1) adjusted down.
- It was a promising opening night as ABC Family made a channel name change to Freeform; first was the premiere of amazingly resilient Pretty Little Liars (1.06), which was actually up a tenth from its last winter premiere (presumably still riding the high from the huge 1.39 summer finale).
- That led into newbie Shadowhunters (0.76), which was one of the network's most impressive recent premieres. For comparison, summer 2014 lead-out Chasing Life and summer 2015 lead-out Stitchers each opened with a 0.53 out of 1.1ish PLL lead-ins.
- Another big primetime event (President Obama's final State of the Union address) led to another quiet evening for the broadcast entertainment options. Only the 8/7c hour was available to the networks, and only two of the big four even ran originals in that hour. But they were mostly rewarded for their efforts; Fox's New Girl (1.4) and Grandfathered (1.0) as well as NBC's Hollywood Game Night (1.2) all had 100% holds in their second week in the timeslots.
- CBS still won the hour in repeat mode with NCIS (1.4), while ABC brought up the rear with more repeats of Fresh Off the Boat (0.8) and The Muppets (0.6).
- The CW often likes throwing originals up against big four simulcasts, and tonight was no exception as iZombie (0.5) returned from hiatus. It was a low-end-of-normal number for the show, which seems fine since it also had a much reduced (if still good) lead-in from a MADtv 20th anniversary special (0.6).
- The State of the Union coverage probably won't be available after finals since there were no ads, but NBC dominated the big four in the 9:00 hour with a preliminary 1.5 A18-49 rating over CBS (1.1), ABC (1.0) and Fox (0.7).
|Fresh Off the Boat (R)||0.8||29%|| |
|The Muppets (R)||0.6||35%|| |
|ABC State of the Union||n/a|
|ABC State of the Union Analysis||1.1||28%|| |
|The Goldbergs (R)||0.6||29%|| |
|NCIS (R)||1.4||17%|| |
|CBS State of the Union||n/a|
|CBS State of the Union Analysis||1.0||21%|| |
|Mike and Molly (R)||0.6||20%|| |
|Hollywood Game Night||1.1||32%|
|NBC State of the Union||n/a|
|NBC State of the Union Analysis p1||1.6||33%|| |
|NBC State of the Union Analysis||1.0||29%|| |
|Fox State of the Union||n/a|
|MADtv 20th Anniversary Reunion||0.6||47%|| |
The full table can be sorted by clicking any of the category names at the top. Hover over 'Last', 'y2y' and timeslot numbers for more information on the previous episode(s) being compared.