- Broadcast TV seems to have left the early September premieres behind for the time being, but there are still some on cable. This week, FX gave its Tuesday 10/9c slot to Donald Glover's new comedy Atlanta, which started with a decent 0.53/0.48. It's a good bit behind the 0.83 where The Bastard Executioner started in this slot last fall, but Atlanta may be able to compare favorably going forward because Executioner had a rather epic post-premiere collapse, into 0.3 territory in the second half of the season.
- OWN added another entry to its deep drama stable with Queen Sugar (0.68) on Tuesday night. It's a good number but below where Greenleaf opened (0.84) in its post-The Haves and the Have Nots preview back in June.
- FXX began its fall with the return of acclaimed You're the Worst (0.17) last Wednesday, which was actually its highest raw rating on FXX (beating everything from last season, including 0.01 above the season two premiere). It may have had a good movie lead-in or something, but keep in mind that last year it led out of The League, which had a 0.49 on premiere night and averaged about a 0.3 for the season.
- Labor Day Weekend was bad for entertainment programs on the broadcasters and cablers alike. After a steady week two, Fear the Walking Dead plunged 22% to a 1.24, while The Strain had a 32% post-premiere drop to 0.42. However, Power (0.88) and Survivor's Remorse (0.34) on Starz each gained slightly, which may add to the theory that they were hurt by MTV's awards last week.
- And on Monday, the seven-season run of TNT institution Rizzoli and Isles came to an end with a 0.70. This was sort of like the end of the Mike and Molly run, which had a big spike shortly before the finale that made the finale rating itself seem underwhelming. But it was still a new season high, and Rizzoli's best rating since last September.
|Fear the Walking Dead||AMC||10||1.24|
|The Haves and the Have Nots||OWN||23||0.90|
|Talking Dead: Fear||AMC||10||0.45|
|Rizzoli and Isles||TNT||13||0.70|
|The Last Ship||TNT||12||0.48|
|Queen of the South||USA||11||0.30|
|Murder in the First||TNT||10||0.27|
|You're the Worst||FXX||1||0.17||3||0.17||+6%||0.14||9||62%|
|Halt and Catch Fire||AMC||4||0.13|
The Cablemetrics table can be sorted by clicking any of the categories at the top (and a second click will sort in the other direction.) After having sorted by a category, you can hold SHIFT and click another category to sort by the second category within the first.