- The Walking Dead universe showed at least a little mortality as Fear the Walking Dead opened season two with a 3.08 in the 9/8c hour. It's still a massive number (would qualify as a megahit by A18-49+ standards), but down 38% from its series premiere late last summer, and 0.23 points behind its previous series low.
- Another interesting note about FTWD is the fact that the Fear edition of after-show Talking Dead had relatively bad retention: its 1.05 rating was just 35% of the Fear rating. Compare this to the most recent spring episodes of the Walking Dead mothership: Talking Dead averaged 40% retention, did much better than that (46%/44%) for the premiere and finale respectively, and never did worse than 37%. I'm probably reading too much into this, but it seems like a potential red flag for the engagement level in the show. We'll see if it improves going forward.
- TBS opened new comedy The Detour with a 0.52 at 9:00, dropping to 0.46 at 9:30. Though far from amazing, it has to be considered one of the more promising recent ratings for a TBS original, crushing what Angie Tribeca had been doing leading out of American Dad! and also beating where Clipped premiered last summer (0.42).
- A growth story worth watching on cable is Starz' Outlander, which opened season two with a new series high 0.39 and was 44% above the Season 1B premiere last year. At least so far, it's not exactly a success story on the level of fellow Starz series Power, which surged into the 0.5-0.6 range last summer, but it's another promising one to be sure.
- Showtime began its transition to the late spring, mixing the finale of Billions (0.32) with its comedy block of veteran House of Lies (0.17) and weak newbie Dice (0.11).
- Syfy also had a transitional Monday, wrapping up The Magicians (0.27) on the same night that it premiered newbie Hunters (0.16). Even on Syfy, a network that has been struggling to get any real scripted traction, 0.16 is a pretty bad premiere number: less than half of where The Expanse (0.33) and The Magicians (0.39/0.41) started, and even below most of the Friday filler like Dark Matter (0.31), Killjoys (0.26) and recently introduced Wynonna Earp (0.20).
- It was mostly an upswing week for the broadcasters, and there were some nice upticks on cable as well: WGN's Outsiders (0.32) and Underground (0.34) each hit their best ratings since the series premieres. And The Americans was up to a season high 0.32 on FX... as I said a couple weeks ago, this show usually falls hugely post-premiere, so that kind of number helps cut into its year-to-year deficit big-time.
|Fear the Walking Dead||AMC||1||3.08||2||3.08||-38%||2.43||164||59%|
|American Crime Story||FX||10||1.34|
|Talking Dead: Fear||AMC||1||1.05||1||1.05||0.78||53||57%|
|Better Call Saul||AMC||9||0.82|
|Young and Hungry||FREE||10||0.27|
|House of Lies||SHOW||1||0.17||5||0.17||-48%||0.13||9||54%|
The Cablemetrics table can be sorted by clicking any of the categories at the top (and a second click will sort in the other direction.) After having sorted by a category, you can hold SHIFT and click another category to sort by the second category within the first.