- A couple Renewology notes: we open American Housewife at 82%, which is actually a touch above Speechless' 80% during premiere week. In True, Housewife was a couple hundredths behind the Speechless premiere, but the ABC target is also a touch lower than it was during premiere week.
- And the bottom fell out for both Scream Queens (19%) and especially No Tomorrow (4%) this week. For SQ, this was mostly about the last two weeks of the Fox bubble rising, and it would've been much less noticeable on a week-to-week basis if it hadn't been preempted last week. No Tomorrow is given virtually zero chance at renewal, even with all the bonuses usually given to CBS Studios shows. If it keeps airing, it will probably go up from here, because I can't really see it actually getting lower than 0.2, and the formula expects continued declines. But... yeesh.
- Didn't think anything could take ABC's Tuesday lineup off of the top bullet point, but NBC's drama This Is Us just did it. In its move to the 9/8c hour, coming off of a week off for a debate preemption, This Is Us (2.8) surged back to match its series premiere rating, beating its The Voice lead-in (2.5) and solidifying itself as the runaway breakout hit of the season. Megahit potential may be on the table here.
- It led into the season premiere of Chicago Fire (1.8), which had the same raw number as last year's premiere on this night (when it had a smaller lead-in from The Voice).
- Meanwhile, it was a nice start for the aforementioned ABC lineup. The Middle (1.7) was four tenths below last year's opener, not a bad trend in a transition to a new night, and American Housewife (1.8) showed strong potential with a one-tenth build at 8:30. The momentum continued into the second hour as Fresh Off the Boat (1.5) bounced to its biggest rating since last November, and The Real O'Neals (1.2) beat all of its 8:30 results from last season. Agents of SHIELD rounded things off with another 0.9 at 10/9c.
- Though NBC handled the debate preemption like a champ, CBS kept sliding. NCIS (1.7) was down again from its already shaky result leading into the VP debate last week, and Bull (1.6) and NCIS: New Orleans (1.2) fell big alongside it.
- It was also a rough week on the CW, as The Flash was down to 1.0 and may actually get outrated by something on its own network this week. Meanwhile, No Tomorrow (0.3) ended up behaving just like many other shows that have premiered against debates, collapsing by two tenths.
- Crossover night was no help to Brooklyn Nine-Nine (0.9) and New Girl (0.9), which each inched down, while Scream Queens clung to a lowly 0.7 at 9/8c.
|Fresh Off the Boat||1.6||41%|
|The Real O'Neals||1.2||41%|
|Agents of SHIELD||0.9||43%|
|NCIS: New Orleans||1.2||16%|
|The Voice Tue Fall||2.6||31%|
|This Is Us||2.8||36%|
|Halt and Catch Fire||0.14||44%|
|Halt and Catch Fire||0.11||49%|
The full table can be sorted by clicking any of the category names at the top. Hover over 'Last', 'y2y' and timeslot numbers for more information on the previous episode(s) being compared.